If you’re creating a new startup company or passion project that has some technology component to it, you will be overwhelmed the number of choices for technology. Which one do I choose? How much will this cost to build? What about the future? I want a Web app. I want a mobile app. I want a desktop app. This all sounds REALLY expensive. And it can be if you don’t pick the right technology.
Here are some of the downsides of picking the wrong technology:
- Picking an unpopular technology can result in massive costs – fewer available developers mean higher hourly costs. I know a developer who charged 10X because he didn’t want to work in an older, unpopular technology, even though he knew how to code in it
- Unpopular technologies tend to fade away over time. It will be harder and harder to get developers over time.
- Tools and free libraries / plugins are harder to get for old / unpopular technologies. Hot and proven technologies always have great support.
- Unpopular / old technologies don’t have large sponsors / big company backing. It’s expensive to develop technology tools and programming languages. It’s not a problem for trillion-dollar tech companies.
- Unpopular technologies will not be ported to new platforms or will be poorly ported versus popular technologies
- Unpopular technologies will be harder to secure because fewer resources will be present to maintain them
- Onboarding of new developers will be harder because documentation will be more scarce or written poorly, increasing the barrier to entry
- You won’t have the marketing appeal of saying you are on a popular, hot platform / programming language
So what’s a startup / investor / entrepreneur with a tech passion project to do?
Must-Have App & Web Technology for Startups and Passion Projects
Being an entrepreneur and programmer I have both perspectives and 2023 is the win-win year we’ve all been waiting for – low initial investment costs and an abundance of jobs for developers.
Need help with your company or startup? Let me guide you with cost-saving guidance. Book a session now.